Sunday, October 2, 2011

NaBloPoMo- Between- October 2

Betwixt and Between is similar to between a rock and a hard place. In my life I have visited this place a number of times.

One that comes to mind is my son's fifth birthday. It was almost not celebrated. His birthday is the 9th Day of October. I was on social assistance and attending job search classes.

I had already paid my rent and gotten a few groceries so I didn't have any money left to get my son a gift or even a birthday cake. In fact on that day I had exactly fifty cents. I know because that is how much the cup of coffee cost that made all the difference between my son having some sort of birthday party or none at all.

To this day I do not know why I walked into that bakery and ordered that coffee but I'm glad I did. I'm also glad that I didn't heed my mother's advice to me to whit, (We don't air our dirty laundry in public), problems are yours alone you are not to tell anyone else about them.

I ordered a coffee and the lady behind the counter asked me why I looked so sad. I told her that my son was turning five and I had neither cake nor gift for him and no money to get them.

She went to get my coffee and I guess she must have been thinking about what I said. When she brought me the coffee she asked me to put my sons name down on a piece of paper. Then she told me to come back after school.

I didn't think any more about it though I do know I nurtured a small flame of hope in my heart. Maybe she would give me a cupcake or something I could take home to him and put a candle in.

After class I went back to the bakery and when she saw me she put on a big smile and hurried into the back. When she came out she had a cake and a wrapped package.

She boxed the cake and handed me both the cake box and the package. I was full to bursting. I do not know how many times I said thank you. Finally she shooed me out and told me to take them home to my son.

When I got home we had supper then I brought out the cake and the package to my son. His smile was a delight to see. When he opened the package it turned out to be an inexpensive toy. I do not remember what it was exactly I just remember it made him happy.

That was my first encounter with "Pay it Forward" and that one incident was the beginning of my interest in helping others.

 The rock and the hard place: Between food for the month or a cake and gift for my son. I chose the most practical option. I thank the Great Spirit every day for that little bit of fortune.


Powered by ScribeFire.


No comments:

Post a Comment