Monday, November 21, 2011

Monday is for Journaling 11/21/11

What are your writing rituals?

We all have them, those things that are essential to the process of writing for us. A specific place or time of day that allows the words to flow easily. 

Your assignment today is to think about the how, when and where you write. What setting, time of day, or location works best for channeling your thoughts?

Ask yourself the following questions:
  1. When do you do your best work- morning, afternoon or evening? Consider doing some writing while your energy is at it's highest.
  2. What are the objects or items that allow you to relax and tap into your deepest feelings? Perhaps you have a favorite sweater, a pair of slippers, a lap quilt that makes you feel secure. Consider the ambiance of the room: the lighting, the music, or even the specific chair you sit in.
  3. Do you have privacy when you write? Accessing your innermost thoughts can be emotional---make sure you can write in a place where you're free to laugh, cry or just be quiet  and not interrupted.
Rituals help ease the transition from one task to another: writing rituals, practiced over time, will let you eventually move seamlessly in and out of journaling mode.


My answers:
1) most of my best thoughts come to me around 1 or 2 AM but I usually do the actual writing between 10 AM and 1 PM
2) I either use the computer or an easy flow pen, (gel), I have a cup of coffee in front of me and I'm wearing my glasses. I haven't reached the point where it is seamless yet but I am getting there.
3) I have privacy, I just shut my door and begin

No comments:

Post a Comment