Saturday, November 1, 2014

Empty Spaces Given New Purpose

Imagine 42,000 square feet of space standing empty not for days or weeks or months but for years. Or even consider a small 3200 square foot place in the same situation. 

Every time I see another vacant store front on our main street I think about what I would put there if I had unlimited wealth. For instance the small space I mentioned above, it was a well patronized, small diner in our bus terminal for 20 years. Ill health required the owners to retire and their son did not want to continue running the place. So it sits there empty.


It is too small to be anything but a diner or a variety store besides there is already a variety store in the terminal. So what can be done with it?


Well obviously someone could reopen the diner but there have been no takers. What I would like to see there is a coffee shop. Oh not like Tim Hortons but a nice place a person who is waiting for a bus can come into and warm up with a coffee. Sort of like an Airport Lounge except for no alcohol and reasonable prices.


One other thing ... I would like it to me a place where even the needy can come and get warm even if they can't buy anything. Everybody has a skill of some sort that they can share and because it is a bus terminal the needy can hook up with those who are looking for people with special skills so both win.


The Brand: I have a blog called "The Church of Kindness". When I created it I was thinking of the move "Pay it Forward" and that is how I would see this and any other similar endeavors being marketed. Also as much as possible they would be non-profit. My goal is not to make money but to make the world a better place for those who want a hand up not a hand out.


Rest assured there are some ideas in my head that are not for the needy but for creative types, teenagers and others who have some need I could meet. All I need is financial backing so I can rent or purchase the empty storefronts and refurbish them enough so they can fulfill the use I would see them put to.


While this helps the citizens of my town it would also bring in some recognition for our town and maybe some employers who like what we are doing and wish to bring their businesses here. Everyone wins!



Prompt: Write about an amazing imaginary brand or organization you'd love to work with. What would their pitch to you look like? What would your post say?

No comments:

Post a Comment