Sunday, November 2, 2014

Weekends are for Collaborate, Gather and Experiment

Hello, how are you this fine Sunday?

Yesterday we saw our first snow flurries, none stuck but it is the first time this fall that it has been cold enough for snow to form. And time went back today as well a sure sign that the dark days of winter are on their way.

I don't know about you but winter turns me into a hibernator and rather than become bored I turn to crafty things. With that thought in mind I decided to pull out an old book I have for some inspiration.

The book is called "Crafter's Devotional: 365 Days of Tips, Tricks, and Techniques for Unlocking Your Creative Spirit " and is still available at Amazon for around ten bucks USD.  Barbara Call Bourassa the author/editor of this book originally published it in 2009 but it is still just as useful now as it was when it first came out.

It is separated into daily pages with each page having a creative idea to get you started making  or exploring something you may have never considered before. The weekends are combined because there are several steps involved . Yesterday's and Today is entitled Experimental Research: Shrink Plastic By Jenn Mason I don't know anything about shrink plastic so my first step was to go looking for information on it. 

One of the first things I found was this board on Pinterest. It has a lot of neat pictures of things you can make from the plastic once you have it but not much info on where to find it. Next I followed this link from Google. Since I had one of those containers in my recycling bin I decided to try the tutorial out.

Here is the container before I began:


And this is what I created with it:


And this is what happened :


So it did shrink them and I have to admit the Goddess turned out really well considering  how much it curled. The directions said they would uncurl but they didn't. My assumption as to the cause is that I used waxed paper instead of parchment paper. Parchment paper has a non-stick surface which would have allowed more action from the pieces. That would also explain why I can't get them off the paper without tearing it.

Give it a try and let me know how you do. The instructions I used are at ABOUT. About is my second most favorite site for learning new things. The first of course being Pinterest.

Hope you had a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment