Friday, April 15, 2016

Once more into the fray

I did not go back to look but I know I've sat here and written any number of letters about my body health and mental issues. I have made long strides towards my goal only to fall back to old habits and bad behaviour. Yesterday was one of those days when it all comes back to me and hits me over the head.

The cure for obesity is exercise and a healthy diet; the cure to depression is exercise and diet; the cure for Fibro is ..... you guessed it exercise and diet.

I have a pretty good handle on my diet though knowing what size a portion is and how many portions of something you need to eat each day doesn't help when you don't have the money to buy what you should be eating. At least I know I have a good handle on things, exercise .... is a whole other kettle of fish.

Aside: Yeah I know cliches are boring but hey I think in cliches a lot cause they sum up so much in so few words.

Back on topic or rather the thing I can't seem to get a handle on. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter your body produces that keeps your mood balanced and my brain doesn't make enough of them however exercise helps to elevate the serotonin level in your brain and bring a high or happiness element with it. That is why a lot of people once they catch the exercise bug continue to push themselves, the high becomes an addiction.

Now as an addiction it is one of the better ones and provides all kinds of benefits like weight loss and higher energy levels. I have determined that I need to replace one addiction (the computer) with another one (exercise). How I am going to do that... well lets just say this time I don't have a fully formed plan.

I am beginning with the FlyLady cause my house is a mess and she is really good at helping people get their housework and stuff into routines. As the doctor said even a little bit of movement each day will help as long as it is daily and causes your heart rate to rise a bit. Since my apartment looks like a disaster area right now it will take me a couple of weeks to get it under control.

Once I start that is... I will be doing laundry and taking out the recycling later on in the day, that is my beginning. I might even get enough energy to run the vacuum cleaner. Tomorrow I will be walking to take a look at a possible apartment and that may be it for the day, though I am hoping to get my dishes done and my toilet cleaned as well.

Now to some of you these things would not count as exercise in your head but for someone like me who spends most of her time on her butt in front of the computer that is more movement than this body has seen in a month. The problem from there is going to be finding and making myself do other chores and getting outside at least twice a week.

Though technically I have other options and needs beginning with getting photo ID for non-drivers, dropping off papers to housing and taking the doctors prescription to the YMCA and getting started on the 2 month prescription for exercise. Yeah I know blew me away too but there really is an exercise prescription you can get from your doctor. As noted above it is only good for two months but that is long enough for exercise to become a habit.

With the prescription that would bring me to June before I need to add more reasons to get away from the computer and move my body. By June the summer sessions at Activity Haven, YMCA and other places will just be beginning so I can look into them to choose my next steps. Until then I will continue to make housework a daily part of daily movement plan and add in the walk to the YMCA once or twice a week

2 comments:

  1. I have a hard time with obesity and depression. Certainly diet and exercise are a very important role. Tracy Kichinka from follow my blog swap bot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard time with obesity and depression. Certainly diet and exercise are a very important role. Tracy Kichinka from follow my blog swap bot.

    ReplyDelete